Extensive list of supported features¶
Brebis browses your backups and checks several informations.
- Tar file.
- Tar file with gzip compression.
- Tar file with bzip2 compression.
- Tar file with lzma compression.
- Gzip archive.
- Bzip2 archive.
- Zip archive.
- Lzma archive.
- Apk archive.
- tree of uncompressed files.
It is easy to write an interface for a new type of archive, take a look at checktar.py and checkzip.py in the repository to easily understand how to make it by yourself!
About the archive itself¶
- detect corrupted archives.
- detect incorrect archive sizes (equal to, smaller than, greater than a size you provide).
- check the hash sum (md5, sha1, sha224, sha256, sha384, sha512) of the archive.
- check the uid/gid of the archive.
- check its mode (state of the rights to read, write, execute for the user or the user group or the others).
- the GPG signature of the configuration file is supported.
About the files in the archive¶
- identify missing files, thanks to a list you provide.
- check the size of files (equal to, smaller than, greater than a size you provide).
- check the type of the files in the archive (file, directory, socket, symbolic link, bloc, character)
- browses for the mode of the files in the archive (state of the rights to read, write, execute for the user or the user group or the others)
- check for the hash sum (md5, sha1, sha224, sha256, sha384, sha512) of the files in the archive.
- identify an unexpected file that should absolutly not be in the archive, thanks to a list you provide.
- generate automatically a list of files in the archive you can reuse in order to detect any change
- check the target of hard links and symbolic links
Security of the execution of Brebis¶
- A sha512 hash sum in the configuration file enforces the identity of the list of files Brebis has to check.
- Support for the GPG signature of the configuration file ensures that only the GPG key owner can modify both the configuration file AND the list of files without triggering an alert.
- Efficiently protect your data with Brebis and GPG is a full example about how to use Brebis and GPG.